Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm clever , smart, and cool - You just don't know it yet.

My first post.... ...

I guess we can call this an experiment. Instead of criticizing people for blogging or for updating their Facebook every couple minutes or for Tweeting about the mundane melancholies of their life, I should bite my tongue and try it out.

Here is the thing: A couple days ago in my Doing Ethnography class, a guy said that people who once felt they weren't a part of a community could now feel welcome in cyberspace whether through YouTube vlogs or My Space. I took his statement with a grain of salt. This was probably because I don't know him, probably because I thought of him at that moment as just any other stupid college guy I go to school with.

Then I got to thinking.... who am I to judge him? Maybe this guy is on to something. Maybe he knows a secret that I'm not yet aware of.

And to clarify about the friends, (sure, this is going to sound like I'm in denial, but) I do have friends. Check my Facebook profile and you'll see I have like 600 hundred friends, BUT why do I feel like I don't have anything to say to any one of them??? I don't do status updates because why should they care? And I sometimes read their stati, but then I get annoyed and just decide to leave FB alone for a few days.

Now, this is my attempt to see if I can find myself a new community, one that doesn't brag about their feigned-perfect lives, but one that is full of people I would consider friends and want to someday meet in "real life."

I heard about this site called 20-Something bloggers... I'm going to "apply" or whatever it's called and see what happens. Maybe, I'll finally have someone to talk to other than my boyfriend (who I'm sure sometimes gets tired of my bitching). We live together, by the way, and do absolutely everything together. This may also be a reason why I don't hang around with people, but then at the same time, I just don't see anyone here (in Lubbock, TX) as really worthy of my time.

So, here are the parameters I promise to uphold for this blog:
1. Write everyday.
2. Try not to bitch as much and be thankful for the things I have.
3. Try to "put myself out there" in my day-to-day (as in, introduce myself to someone new and quit being so anti-social)
4. Treat all of this optimistically and hopeful that this experiment will help me find at least some people I can relate to.

Buena Suerte.

0 comments:

Post a Comment