Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 11, 2010

'Cause you gotta have friends

So, before I get into my "experiment," I just briefly want to talk about myself a little. I hope that with time, if I have people actually reading this, that they will tell me about themselves too :)

I'm Cyndi, 22 years old. I'm from the lovely bordertown of El Paso, TX (no, that is not sarcasm - I LOVE EP!). I am the oldest of three girls and our names all start with the letter 'C' which can get confusing at times... I speak Spanish pretty fluently, I guess, but I've never once taken a Spanish class (I tested out of it - don't ask me how since I knew nothing about grammar!). I love my family even though at times they drive me crazy. I love food, music, reading, writing, dancing, and being lazy. I'm a total homebody. I have a boyfriend who I will call E - him an I met in middle school, but didn't start dating until 2006. I have two Chihuahuas (Chata and Pepino) and another (Sombrita) that I'm currently fostering for my cousin so that she doesn't get evicted for not being allowed to have pets in her complex. I also have a fish named Douglas. I like to be random and goofy, but I used to be REALLY shy, so sometimes that comes through. Usually, in my classes though, I'm the perfect student -- only outside do I become a big dork.

I don't really work out, but I'd like to! I used to dance ballet and folklorico, but not until high school because before then, I was SUPER shy.

I'm not about doing things to impress people. I'm weird. I'm fun. I'm happy. That's me. And I like doing things because I like doing them - no other reason.

I'm a student majoring in Creative Writing (don't ask why JK) and anthropology. I'm also a tutor for students with learning disabilities. I love my job.

E and I are also mutts. We both grew up on the Texas/Mexico border and have large Mexican families. My parents are both American, my grandparents, however are not. And going waaaaaay down the line, I have a little Chinese, German, Spanish, and Native American. E's mom is Mexican, dad was American, and down the line, has some French. We are constantly battling identities, which is probably why we find so much comfort in each other. Awwww que cute. If I tend to change between improper Spanish and grammatically incorrect English, I don't apologize. That's how us on the Border talk, so get with it! On applications and stuff I tend to fill in the Hispanic/Latino bubble, but I'm never quite sure how that entirely fits. It's hard for me to think of myself as anything other than American. I'm also very proud to be a part of the border culture that I am, but it's not only my identity- we are a collective city of mixed-breed and THOSE are my people.

I'm pretty goofy, and tend to embarrass myself a lot. I'm kind of smart, at least from what other people tell me. E says that in High School, I was the smart, pretty girl, if that helps explain anything. I don't really think of myself as either and that's not me being modest.

I HAVE friends... You may learn from reading that I tend to OVEREXAGGERATE at times. I'm getting help for that, but seriously I do have friends. THREE best friends from high school that are all in grad school for science right now whereas me, the little confused liberal arts girl changed her major and tacked on an extra to put me on the five-year plan. But I'm graduating in May - whaa?

I also transferred from a private rich-kid university. I'm pretty poor and didn't have enough money to pay for school although I was almost entirely on scholarships and financial aid. During my two years there, I had two amazing luck-of-the-draw roommates who are both MARRIED now and whom I don't talk to nearly as much but still consider good friends in spite of them being SUPER relgious and me... not so much. Yup, that's the thing to do at private schools. RING BEFORE SPRING says you get engaged before or during the spring of your junior year, spend senior year planning and get married IMMEDIATELY after graduation with all your sorority sisters present of course.

I'm not in a sorority.

I'm pretty plain Jane is how I would put it. I'm not rich. I'm not poor. I dress nice for what I have, but in no way at all does the way I dress now reflect the style inside me DYING TO GET OUT!

I feel like when I wear makeup, I look like a clown, even though people say I look nice. Whateva.

I keep writing random shit about myself in an effort to prolong doing homework.

0 comments:

Post a Comment